As I was getting ready for my engagement pictures, I realized the last thing that had been on my mind was "getting in shape" for my wedding. But then I got to thinking, I haven't always been able to manage my weight and lean muscle with ease, and in fact if we were talking this time last year and I had a wedding in 2.5 months, I'd be freaking out because I didn't have my health under control.
It took me 28.5 years to finally have full control over my body where I didn't have to wake up in pain every day and wonder how my mood would be that day depending on my comfort. So I have a little secret for you: If you want to get into the best wedding shape and be able to maintain it with ease, know that it has NOTHING to do with your workouts or going to the gym.
ENJOY YOUR WEDDING PLANNING WITH EASE:
Let's face it, weight is the number one thing on a bride's mind leading up to her wedding day; however, it is often the last thing she can focus on between planning all her wedding details and going to work everyday.
So I guess it is a blessing in disguise that it took my fiancé nine years to finally propose to me, as it took me that long to figure out how to keep my life and body in balance with ease :)
Tip 1: Know Your Triggers
This is is what my stomach looked like last November and December. My stomach continued to literally grow through the fall, and I started to freak out. I was working out 5-6 days a week and walking/running 10-15 miles a week, yet by belly kept growing.
It finally got to the point that I was like "shit, maybe I'm pregnant," so for the first time in my life I took a pregnancy test!!!
The test came back negative, but you won't believe what was contributing to a lot of my inflammation..... KALE. Yes, that leafy green vegetable that is high in Vitamin A, Vitamin C, B-6, and Magnesium. When you suffer from intestinal damage (aka IBS), your body can have a hard time breaking down cruciferous vegetables. I always try to eat local and in season, so when fall came around I was loading up on the kale, cabbage, brussel sprouts, cauliflower, collard greens, and broccoli, and while they are all very healthy foods, you may have to consume them in moderation despite their high nutrient levels.
If you REALLY listen to your body, it will tell you what it likes and doesn't like. The problem is that we often confuse with what our head is telling us we what versus what our body is really craving.
Tip 2: Know Your Cravings & Find Healthier Alternatives
When your body isn't in balance your food cravings can often get out of control and feel impossible to manage. I remember the days when I was stuck in the corporate world, being stressed out with my monthly quotas and my previous employer was oh so generous in having an unlimited candy counter in the kitchen! Guess where I went every time I got stressed?!
It's important to have healthier options available so when you need that salty snack or something sweet, you have other options other than candy that is filled with nasty food dyes and coloring, corn syrup, or high fructose corn syrup.
Here are some healthier snacks I'd go for:
- Sliced Apples- add cinnamon and peanut butter or almond butter
- Dried Mangoes
- TIP: Make sure to get them with NO ADDED SUGAR!!!
- Dark Chocolate
- TIP: At least 70% cacao; when you get something in 85% range there is typically only 5 grams of sugar per serving which is much better than 16+ grams!
- Again you want to watch for additives, often they are filled with gluten derivatives or laced with crappy omega 6 fatty acids like canola oil and safflower oils. Buy raw or dry roasted.
- If you have a sugar addiction like I used to, be careful on consuming too many cashews or peanuts, as they are considered a "sweet nut" and will continue to feed those sugars cravings that you really want to work on getting in balance instead.
- Protein Bars
- TIP: Not all "processed foods" are created equal and it is important to find ones that have the right balance of protein, carbs, and fats. I've personally found that even the bars that only have 5 ingredients and you think are 'healthy' would destroy me because they had too much sugar and not enough protein.
- Here are my favorite protein bars.
- Healthier Homemade Treats
I have to admit that my online nutrition school that I graduated from this past year, Institute for Integrative Nutrition, played a huge part in my healing process. The school taught me the importance of primary foods (what feeds your soul) and secondary foods (what you actually put in your body). It taught me how to really listen to my body and gave me the tools to help others do the same.
Tip 3: Check Out My Grocery Shopping Guide
Here are some tips on other food options to consider to get your body in wedding shape!
Please keep in mind that this is geared toward someone that needs to be grain free due to gluten sensitivities, however that doesn't mean you have to follow it to this level. For example, my fiance eats like me 90% of the time even though he doesn't have the same sensitivities and he is rewarded with the beach body ;)
Step 4: Nutritional Cleansing Saved Me
If you read my story, you'll know that I've struggled my entire life to be healthy, and that I was very diligent with my food choices so I could reverse my hypothyroidism, type 2 diabetes, IBS, and fibromyalgia. By following this grocery shopping guide and incorporating healthy supplements into my diet, I was able to do this in 8 short months. However, even after making these changes, my body still wasn't properly absorbing and processing foods. Remember that picture I shared above with my "pregnant belly?" At that point I was eating gluten free, corn free, dairy free, and taking my supplements, but I still was fighting the inflammation.
Thankfully my husband's chiropractor introduced me to this amazing nutritional cleansing company that chnaged my life. I'll admit I was skeptical to try it at first, as I had been disappointed by so many other 'nutritional programs' before, but this one I wish had come into my life earlier. If the results didn't happen to my fiance and I -- well then I'd probably say that you are a liar!
Being a health geek, the science and technology in this company really excited me, and when I understood more about what our telomeres are and their importance to living well with ease, I knew I had to try the program.
So before I jump to what the program is, first do me a favor and write down your answers to these questions:
- What does your breakfast look like today?
- How much do you spend on your breakfast and morning coffee?
- What does your lunch look like today?
- How much does your lunch cost?
- What other snacks or coffees do you buy for the afternoon?
- How bad do you want to transform your health?
- If you were to replace two meals a day, get all the snacks, chocolates, and supplements you needed to transform your health, would that be worth $20/day for 1 month?
If you answered YES, then contact me and I can help you get on track!!
Facebook Me: www.facebook.com/jen.gebbie
Email Me: email@example.com
When I say the word "cleansing" -- I am talking about feeding your body at the cellular level. This is not a juicing diet or running to the bathroom cleanse. In fact, I will almost guarantee you will eat more calories and more protein with this diet. No counting calories are done here!
Tip 5: Move Your Body
I used to be the girl that had to spend 1-2 hours a day working out TRY to maintain my abs and stay thin. I always found myself disappointed, as I felt that with all my workouts, I should have better results.
Now that I am eating right for MY BODY and healed my body from the inside out, I'm able to maintain my abs with ease. I don't stress out over my workouts, but I still am active and move my body when I can. Today I walk about 10-15 miles a week with my dog; I don't feel pressured to run on pavement anymore (it was such a myth to think that you needed to run to have nice abs!) Then about 3-4 times a week I try to do one of the following:
- 10 minute workouts with my TRX
- Piyo - 30 minutes (mix between Pilates and yoga)
- P90X3 - 30 minute workouts (when I feel like it!)
- Body resistance training (i.e. push-ups, planks, squats) -- all things I can do for 5-10 minute breaks between my calls
I'll even admit that between building my business and wedding planning over the past 2 weeks I didn't workout except for my 2 mile walks a day with my dog... and guess what? My abs still looked like I was working out like crazy!! I now have a new appreciation for the meaning "abs are made in the kitchen" and you truly "can not out train a bad diet."
Tip 6: Start Today
Don't be the girl that says:
- "I'll start next week..."
- "I'll start next month...."
- "This is the last dessert I'll eat and then I'll be good....."
- "I'll work my butt off 2 months before my wedding....."
I used to be that girl that said "next week" or "just one more," and being that girl was tiring and stressful. I want you to know that there are less stressful ways for you to maintain your healthy weight and energy with ease.
Don't be the girl that:
- Counts calories
- Feels restricted
- Stressed out
- And overwhelmed....
BE THE GIRL THAT:
- Is full of energy
- Has a healthy balance
- Has control of her food cravings
- Rocks her wedding day and BEYOND...
Spend time with your family.
Enjoy your bling :)
Don't sweat the small stuff.
Take baby steps today and I promise they will lead you toward lasting changes for your future.....
image credit: J.Harper Photography