While I do believe that people can overdo it with supplements or take levels their body's do not need, I do think there are 4 supplemets that everyone should consider taking. Remember, taking supplements isn't your pass to eating unhealthy, processed foods. I still want to see you eating your 5-7 fruits and vegetables a day, at a MINIMUM!!!!
It is also important that you are buying quality supplements. I personally would not buy anything from your regular drug store (i.e. CVS, Walgreens, and Rite Aid). Many of those supplements are produced by companies who don't typically follow best practices when it comes to food standards. They also fill their supplements with unnecessary additives, color dyes, and sugars.
Also, if you have an issue with gluten or other grains, it is very important to read the labels and even call the manufactures, to confirm they are gluten free supplements. Unfortunately it is very common for supplements to have hidden forms of gluten and corn. I trust Dr. Osborne from Town Center Wellness/ GlutenFreeSociety.org to buy my supplements.
Here are the top 4 supplements I recommend everyone include in their daily diet:
- Omega 3
- Take 2,000 grams/ daily
- Why you need it: Omega-3 fatty acids are essential to building powerful anti-inflammatory hormones in your body. Without enough Omega-3 in your system, your risk of inflammation skyrockets. You'll also want this to help with brain function.
- Here is what I take: Omega Heal, by Town Center Wellness
- Dr. Berry Sears from the Zone Diet has a high quality omega 3 supplement that I would feel safe taking.
- Take recommend dosage on bottle
- Why you need it: Even with the right intention of eating healthy, balanced meals every day, the odds are we will fall short in a category or two. This is a great reassurance that your body is getting the vitamins and minerals that it needs to help your cells function properly
- Many over the counter multi-vitamins (like Women's One a Day), used to give me the worst stomach aches. At the time I didn't realize there were filled with nasty fillers my body hated and the wrong levels of vitamins for my body.
- Here is what I take: Ultra Nutrients, by Town Center Wellness
- Vitamin D
- Take 2,000 IU/ daily
- Why you need it: Most of us don't get the daily dosage of Vitamin D that our body needs and the only way you can get is from the sun. And believe it or not, when we go in the sun, most of us block VD from being absorbed by putting sunscreen on! (Read more about the best gluten free sunscreen here.) It's important to take this supplement to healp with mood, energy, better sleep patterns, fight depression, etc.
- Here is what I take: Liquid D3 (aka Vitamin D3), by Town Center Wellness
- Probiotic -
- Take 1 daily (or directed on bottle)
- Why you need it: If you have every taken an anti-biotic in your life (which most of us have), I'd recommend getting on a good probiotic. It's important that we keep the healthy bacteria in our body thriving and alive! Healthy gut flora is key to living a long, healthy life!
- Here is what I take: Biotic Defense, by Town Center Wellnes
If you are interested in learning more, Dr. Osborne talks more about the dangers of hidden gluten in our medications.